Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

Correct use of lend and borrow as a verb in a sentence

borrow vs lend

In This article we will be discussing on how to use lend and borrow correctly in sentence. A lot of student find it difficult to use this two verbs correctly in sentence. However, it is very important that both native speakers or English learner have to learn how to use them correctly. In as much, this words are becoming more popular days after day. In fact let dive in straight to the lesson.

Lend as a verb

First, what is lend it simply means to give something to somebody for a limited amount of time. i.e, you expect to collect it back.

Examples for the use of lend as a verb

  • I can lend you $10
  • Could you lend me you car
  • Could you lend me your books
  • Did you lend him your bag
  • Did you lend him your car

Borrow as a verb

This simply means to receive something from somebody for a limited amount of time. i.e, you expect to collect it back.

Examples for the use of borrow as a verb

  • I borrowed this book from david
  • Jane has borrowed $20 from emma
  • Emma has borrowed my car
  • Last time! you borrowed my car you damaged it

Applicable rules for the use of lend and borrow as a verb

There are some certain rules you can follow in other to use this two verbs correctly. Which goes thus? If you can’t substitute borrow in a sentence with receive then try substituting it with give. If it express a complete thought with give then you use lend. Hence, if it express a complete thought with receive you use borrow as the verb in the sentence. Take a look at the following examples.

  • I ___ him my shoes. First, let try with “ I receive him my shoes.” Note that in this sentence receive doesn’t express a complete thought. Hence, let try again with “ I gave him my shoes.” Note it makes sense isn’t it? Leave a comment below if you don’t seems to get my explanation.
  • Secondly, let look at this also. I ___ this pen from james. . First, let try with “ I receive this pen from james.” Note that in this sentence receive does express a complete thought. Hence, let try again with “I gave this pen from james.” Note it doesn’t make any sense isn’t it?

Mnemonics to remember how to use lend and borrow as a verb

First, is that you have to know that give in a one syllable word. However, lend is also a one syllable word. On the other hand, receive is 2 syllable word. Hence, borrow is also 2 syllable word. Hope it clear, that is the basic mnemonic for this two verbs.

Misconception on the use of lend and borrow as a verb

Some misconception that confuse student most on how to use this two verbs are as follow:

  • Let look at sentence like “ I can borrow you 10$.” It wrong isn’t it? The correct way to say this are “ I can lend you $10.” Or “you can borrow $10.” Correct isn’t it?
  • It can be sentence like “can you borrow me $100.” Wrong isn’t it? Yea, the correct way to say this are “ can I borrow $100.” Or “ can you lend me $100.” Correct isn’t it?

conclusion, what matters most is the direction in which individual verbs point to.

FOR MORE CLEARIFICATION LEAVE A COMMENT BELLOW

Post a Comment

0 Comments